Firefighters from across the country set a new fundraising record for the 2017 Firefighter Sky Tower Stair Challenge raising 1.25 million dollars for Leukaemia & Blood Cancer New Zealand.
Nine hundred firefighters from communities around New Zealand as well as Australia, USA, Chile and Croatia took to the 1,103 steps of Auckland’s iconic Sky Tower wearing 25 kilograms of gear. The 2017 target was set at $900,000 which was achieved four days before the event with the figure landing well beyond the target.
Firefighters in the media
- A firefighters journey from the bottom of the country to the top! (The Project NZ/Facebook)
- Hero welcomed home after 1800km and $16K raised for Leukaemia & Blood Cancer NZ (Maori Television)
- Firefighter finishes mammoth journey (NZHerald)
- ‘I think I’ll be taking the lift next time’ – Brodie Kane nails gruelling Sky Tower climb challenge (TVNZ/Breakfast)
- 75yo firefighter tackles Sky Tower stair climb (Newshub)
- No training, no feeling in his toes: Cancer patient conquers Sky Tower Stair Challenge (stuff.co.nz)
- Firefighter gears up for Sky Tower climb (Manukau Courier/stuff.co.nz)
- Doris proves up to Sky challenge for the 10th time (The Gisborne Herald)